Build success from the inside – Step 3: Choosing the right technology
By Tammy Lake on Jan 19, 2021
When the right people have worked together to define your organization’s business process requirements, finding the right technology to help your team successfully accomplish your goals is not always easy to do. However, the right technology is important to success.
When you meet with a technology company, you may ask some common questions around things to help you get a high-level understanding of the technology and its
- Business process automation capabilities including rules, workflow and validation
- Architectural requirements and related costs
- License types and related costs
- Implementation timeline and complexity
You may also want to know things about the company behind the technology like
- industry recognition
- current customers and customer satisfaction ratings
As you move further into discussions, there are additional important details to understand. We often hear stories around customers being sold a technology with the promise of it solving all their problems. They are excited to see the capabilities during product demonstrations, but later realize the expectations around technical knowledge, implementation time, or complexity were not clearly defined or understood.
That’s why it is important to have as many conversations as it takes to help you have a solid understanding and confidence in the technology’s capabilities.
Here are a few more specific examples of things to ask to help you understand what the technology has to offer. As you get answers to these questions, ask yourself if you can imagine other possibilities beyond the current use case for things like data quality management, workflow, auditing/reporting, and ease of use.
- What are the technical knowledge and consulting requirements?
- What additional consulting costs are involved above and beyond standard support and maintenance?
- What kind of customer success onboarding, training and support resources do they have after the sell?
- Will they be there for you to talk through your use cases to help you get a successful start?
- How flexible and scalable is the technology?
- How does the technology identify and handle errors?
- What are some examples of more detailed capabilities?
- What are the limitations?
When it comes to automation technology, your organization may have several tools in your toolkit, each one with distinct strengths and limitations. For the most success and best return on your investment, it is important to understand both. Also, when researching a technology company, it is important to understand their future direction or roadmap.
- Can they provide answers around new features or enhancements coming in their next version?
- What features and enhancements are they planning to focus on next?
- What other capabilities being considered and researched for future versions, and how much input do their customers have into their future direction?
Asking these types of questions will help clarify whether the technology company’s goals and priorities are in line with your organization’s and determine if the partnership is a good fit. Watch the full video to see all the questions and considerations when selecting technology for your process automation initiatives:”Building Success from the Inside Part 3: Choosing the right technology.”
Watch the vlog now
Get a roadmap for building success from the inside, read our eBook: Best Practices for SAP Automation.
About the author
Tammy Lake is a Solutions Engineer at Winshuttle, with over 20 years of business IT experience working together with all business units inside manufacturing and oil and gas companies. Her professional goals have always included helping others simplify and automate business processes. She loves working with customers to help them imagine the possibilities with Winshuttle.
Questions or comments about this article?
Tweet @Winshuttle to continue the conversation!